Friday, June 27, 2008

Eurodam in Venice

What a change from bicycle touring in Greece (which I miss very much!)

I am working on the brand new Holland America Line ship, the Eurodam. Worth about $700M, this is a luxury liner. It is parked in the shipyard where it was built, Fincantieri, in Venice, Italy, while some last minute additions are made. Tomorrow we will set sail for Southampton, England, making one stop on the way in Malaga, Spain.

I am doing general labour on board, getting paid well (by my standards anyway) and putting in 11.5 hours a day. One this ship I am pulling cable, so far it's all been fibre optic cable. It's dirty itchy work (lots of fibre glass insulation) but it's not a bad way to make a good deal of money in only a few days. I get off in England on the 27th and fly back to Athens from Heathrow.

All of my expenses are taken care of, and the food that is served on board has been superb so far.

Unlike the other jobs I've had aboard ships over the last year, the contractors on board are a minority, there's not as much work to be done as in a dry-dock refit job. It's quite a different atmosphere.

I must say, I am really looking forward to the sea bound portion of the job That said, I am most looking forward to getting back to Alix and to Greece and to bicycle touring and camping and being outside under the Mediterranean blue sky all day long.

No comments: